Top 10 Genre Movies: Monsters vs. Aliens falls to No. 2
After spending last week on at the top spot, animated science fantasy flick, Monsters vs. Aliens fell to the No. 2 spot behind the fourth installment fo the Fast and the Furious franchise.
The only sci fi flick to debut this weekend was Alien Trespass, the 50’s-era sci-fi comedy spook starring Eric McCormick, which debuted at No. 29 on the genre movie list and No. 29 overall with just over $10 million.
Genre films set to debut next week: Dragonball Evolution is set for wide release.
Following are the Top 10 speculative fiction movies in release in North America for the weekend of April 3-5, 2009.
RANK #. (Overall Rank) Title – Weekend Gross | Total Gross [Budget]
- (2) Monsters vs. Aliens – $33.5 million | 105.7 million [$175 million]
- (3) The Haunting in Connecticut – $9.55 million | 37.2 million [N/A]
- (4) Knowing – $8.1 million | $58.3 million [N/A]
- (6) Race to Witch Mountain- $3.4 million | $58.4 million [N/A]
- (13) Watchmen – $1.1 million | $105.4 million [$150 million]
- (19) Coraline – $0.2 million | $74.3 million [N/A]
- (22) Push – $0.14 million | $31.3 million [$38 million]
- (23) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – $0.13 million | $127.2 million [$150 million]
- (29) Alien Trespass – $0.04 million | $0.04 million [N/A]
- (33) Fanboys – $0.02 million | $0.6 million [N/A]
Source: Box Office Mojo – list only includes science fiction, spy fi, fantasy and dark fantasy/horror titles.
David Speakman has spent more than two decades as a writer/editor, photographer, graphic designer and manager of creative teams in broadcast, print and the Internet. His education is in journalism, graphic design, organizational communication and law.
Latest posts by David Speakman (see all)